Lilies are very hardy cut flowers and very easy to take care of to ensure maximum vase life. There are 4 basic steps to follow. 

1. Recut the Stem.  When lilies are out of water for any length of time the ends of the stems dry out and become blocked.  This dried out portion of the stem needs to be removed, otherwise the lily will be unable to drink the water from your vase and will wilt.  The hotter the weather or the longer the lilies have been out of water the more of the stem that will need to be removed. Failing to recut the stems is the single most common reason cut flowers fail to last the distance.

2.  Strip the leaves. Remove all the lower leaves from the stems, so they are clear of the water in the vase.  Leaves that are in the water will quickly rot, causing the water to go off.  Bacteria in the water will cause infections which can block the water channels in the stem which in turn will cause premature wilting.

3.  Add Water. Lilies drink a lot of water.  Keep your vase water clean and well topped up.

4.  Pick a Location. The location of your vase will also play a role in how long your lilies last.  Avoid direct sunlight and air flow from heat pumps.

Finally a word about lily pollen and pets.

Lily pollen can make a mess but it does not stain.  If you are concerned, the best time to remove the pollen is immediately after each flower has opened.  You will find the pollen capsules quite hard, easy to remove and entirley mess free.  If pollen should get onto a table cloth or item of clothing, lighly brush or vacuum off, rinse the item in cold water and hang ouside in the sun for a couple of hours.  Alternatively, you could try our pollen free range of lilies.

In our experience it is highly unlikely that you will poison puss' by having lilies in your house.  While it is true that some lilies may be toxic to some pets, 30 years of cultivating lilies commercially leads us to conclude this risk is extremely low with the modern hybrids we grow today.  In almost 30 years, we have never once had any of our own cats or dogs harmed through being in close proximity to the lilies. Nor have we ever had it reported to us that a customer's pet has been poisoned. Motor vehicles remain the single biggest risk to our pets and their ongoing good health, with chocolate we suspect being a close second.